Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Making Mine Scenery Part VI

Foreboding!

Dust hung heavy in the air. With a fleeting moment's reprieve from the Prods they saw their holy grail. Across the chasm was a sealed off tunnel that they believed would ultimately lead them out of the mines and into the Bonelands. But first they had to cross the chasm and find a way through those panels. That's when they heard the approaching shouts coming towards them. The Prods were catching up.

Well that isn't very pretty is it?

Last time we saw the chasm it looked like this (built in Making Mine Scenery Part III and Making Mine Scenery Part IV). With the piece completed I then followed all of the painting steps in Making Mine Scenery Part I and Making Mine Scenery Part II. Those painting stages transformed that messy looking board section into what we see in the the next photo.


That's more like it!

I wanted the chasm to be an undetermined depth so I chose to paint it Citadel Chaos Black. I popped out the girders and drybrushed them the exact same sequence of colors as the panels in Making Mine Scenery Part V, including using the Forge World Aged Rust weathering powder at the ends of the girders and by some debris near the top of the photo. This piece I think has some obvious character to it and stands out from the first few I did. One of my favorite parts of building scenery is establishing a concept and then being able to continually build on it. The other thing I like about this piece is that it was built entirely from scraps. Even the I-beam was a piece from someone else's broken scenery that I acquired when they were planning to dump their bitz in the trash.

Make a good suggestion and I'll run with it.

Before I move on I wanted to mention that I updated Making Mine Scenery Part V to add one more stage to the above panels. F. Crowley from the Miniature Painting and Terrain Building Facebook Group wanted to see more rust, so here it is. Follow the Part V link if you want to know what exactly I did.

Now its time for a new project though! Here's the layout of the next board section.

I wrote the measurements on for your benefit.

I started off the piece by drawing where the tunnels would go, whether they were on the east/west or north/south. That would mean that with that cross pattern drawn, I could easily do an intersection, bend, straight hallway, or something else all together. But no matter what, I'd have the reference points so that it could correctly line up with the existing sections I've made. Then I decided it was time to tackle something vitally missing: doors. The half inch wide rectangles at the east and west ends of the board section are where the doors are going to drop in.

Roughing out the wall shape.

I cut the foam to to fit the designated area just like in Part I and Part II. This time I notched the "tracks" for the door into the foam.

And then adding some height to it.

Knowing I would need to build up the walls higher, I added height and notched the additional pieces in too. I'm currently in the process of shaping the foam on this section, so we'll have to wait until Sunday to see the next stages, including the making of the doors.

As always, comments, questions, and requests are welcome. Follow Broken Contract on Facebook and Twitter for the latest news and info.

Until next time, keep dreaming of freedom from indentured servitude my friends! (And keep building scenery too.)
-Nick

No comments:

Post a Comment