Skip to main content

Playtesting the Prod Gen-Mod and Dual Wielding

Nanomei Goliath from Aetherium standing in for a Prod Gen-Mod
Model courtesy of Anvil-Eight Games

Over the last two weeks I've taken time to sit down and try out some ideas for the Prod Gen-Mod. It's always exciting trying out a new character with untested stats and equipment. Our Kickstarter Backers wanted to see the Prod Gen-Mod as more intimidating than the Breaker Gen-Mod. I think I've done so and kept it within reason, though it will take more testing to know for sure.

Prod Gen-Mod
Core: Actions 4 Move: 3 Wounds: 4
Combat: Shoot: 5 Melee: 4 Strength: 4 Agility: 5
Brain: Intellect: 5 Perception: 5 Psyche: 5 Medic: 5
Social: Lead: 6 Dealing: 6
Intangible: Recovery: 6 Faith: 6

Equipment: Shock Fists, Gen-Mod Apparatus
Special Rules: Heavy Lifter, Dependent, Massive.

The idea behind giving the Prod Gen-Mod an extra Action was to ensure they could be viewed as an unstoppable threat bearing down on the enemy. Once in close combat they could rain blows on their opponents. I want them to be terrifying. Unfortunately, the first time I ran the Prod Gen-Mod they still struggled to quickly take down threats. Even though they could Stun someone with a single punch, they only inflict a single wound per Strike most of the time, and they only hit 50% of the time.

Then I decided that if this Gen-Mod could Strike twice for every Action, it could really capture my vision. I started rolling dice and they became everything that I wanted. Of course, unlocking the idea of Characters getting to throw two Fists for a single Strike would mean that I would have to spread this possibility around. Since Ari Gaylen is depicted wielding a Rock Hammer and Knife, I decided to try this option on her. What I found was that it really seemed to balance out the hard hitting power of the Two Handed weapons by allowing her more opportunities to do get some hits in.

Both of these new additions should make for some more action packed yet decisive combats. We can expect Dual Wielding to make it into the next version of the rules.

Thanks for reading.
-Nick

 Want your own Nanomei Goliath? You can pick one up at Anvil-Eight Games.

Comments

  1. Aetherium is the only KS I didn't back that I now regret missing out on. Went back and forth on that one for ages. Lovely game concept.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rob, the game is now available. I played it at AdeptiCon this year and it is very cool. I wasn't sure how I'd feel about the Inception style "altering space" but when you can move a room across the board to set up Tov to throw a firebomb on your enemy, it's awesome. Haha.Pick it up when you get the chance. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will probably do that whenit is in European stores. Buying anything bulky from USA is impossible now due to shipping costs.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Breaker Press Update for 11.12.2022

 Greetings Friends! I recorded a new update video giving you the latest on what's new with Breaker Press Games . I talk about The Protectorate of Jenulane and Cleft in the Mangled Hills/Hillwood Camp Kickstarters, and give details for my Patreon Plan going forward. Give it a gander! -Nick PS. Here's the cover of Hillwood Camp Zine by Carlos Castilho:

I Wanna Be Your Dog: Canines in DCC

Last year I started a Dungeon Crawl Classics group with my friends. For those that don't know, Dungeon Crawl Classics is meant to be D&D like it is 1975, and touts the catch phrase, "Deadliest Game Alive". During Character Creation one of the characters in our 0-level funnel came up as a herder with a herding dog. The dog, Fetch, has outlived their herder master, and became a beloved Character in a very lethal game. Not surprisingly, the players pushed for Fetch to have the ability to advance. Here is the first draft of the rules if you are interested in my take on Canine Player Characters in DCC. I Wanna Be Your Dog Canines in Dungeon Crawl Classics by Nick Baran Art by Nerdgore You’re running a 0-Level Funnel for a group of players who are all dog people. One of the Characters comes up as a Herder with a Herding Dog, and before you know it, the dog is the most cherished member of the party. Treasure be damned, as long as the dog survives! CANINE Cani

Spawn of Cyclops Con

  Happy Spawn of Cyclops Con! We're excited to be able to game and chat with you all.  We have a bunch of Con Specials running right now. You just need to follow this link: https://breakerpressgamescon.com And we just launched The Tome of Debasement Kickstarter. You can check that here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/breakerpressgames/the-tome-of-debasement-dcc-rpg-compatible-zine More info coming soon! -Nick